Saturday, October 3, 2009

Focusing

As I start this project, there are several technicalities I have to resolve. The trouble with writing a thesis, is that you should have a thesis :) Of course, one usually doesn't have a conclusion in mind when they start their research, but they normally have a focused direction. That is what I am working on right now. I could write a book about this art toy phenomenon, so I have to narrow my frame. Firstly, I've made the decision to investigate the designer art toy movement (self proclaimed) as it currently exists in the United States (I will also likely include Canada in my discussion). I am particularly interested in the American manifestation of an Asian phenomenon.

Still a really broad topic, so I'm going to focus in and do a sort of "case study" of Kidrobot. This has proved to be a controversial move. A friend of mine (Zach), who I have recently been getting to know due to his love of these toys, thinks this is not the way to go. I sense there is a definite "love/hate" relationship with Kidrobot in the world of serious art toy collectors. Why? Probably because Kidrobot is too corporate, too visible, too mainstream. In the end, this is why they are perfect for my purposes. Kidrobot has given visibility and recognition to an art practice that otherwise may have only existed underground. No matter how much you may resent them (and maybe resent is too harsh a word), you cannot deny their influence. Zach thinks I am maybe limiting myself by focusing on Kidrobot. He has a point, and I have to be wary of this moving forward. When I began to investigate other retailers and manufacturers as well as people who are collecting these objects, I soon realized that what they all have in common is Kidrobot. Most collectors start by collecting Dunnys or Munnys and then even after they move on from Kidrobot specific toys, they are still using the Kidrobot discussion board to find the toy they are coveting, brag about their collection, or simply connect with other collectors and artists. Kidrobot has created, and continues to foster, an entire community. So, I am moving foward with this Kidrobot focused (but not centric) lens. I should mention that Zach wants me to focus on the collector of these toys. I agree that the people that obsess over and truly love these objects are going to be an integral part to my research. Soon, I hope to feature Zach and his collection, and others like Zach who sustain the art toy movement.


The 2009 Kidrobot Dunnys were just released recently- 20 new designs from 20 artists. Check out this one by Gary Taxali. It makes me smile. I'm not sure what the extra figure is that comes with it- but I love that too. His website is really wonderful as well. His imagery is very nostalgic, but with a contemporary kick.



Taxali also has designed Chump Toys.  Here is OH NO and OH OH (released May 2008). The legs are adjustable! They are 6 1/2" high and were made by BigshotToyworks





You can even buy this sweet stationary set at kidrobot.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment